October 10, 2010

zomspot v3 (part 2)

Filed under: Mobile Me(dia) — Tags: , , — *aly* @ 1:12 pm

Starting page | Map page | Form page

So, for our midterm, I updated my zomspot map so that it now shows a marker in the location that a zombie sighting was reported using the javascript geolocation function. I created a form that grabs the latitude and longitude from a user (it will work from either a browser or iphone/android phone… doesn’t seem to work with my blackberry) and then allows the user to report the number of zombies and the type. On submit, that info goes into a database and the user is directed to the map page, which shows a data visualization of all submissions.

(more…)

September 28, 2010

zomspot v2

Filed under: Mobile Me(dia) — Tags: , , , , — *aly* @ 2:06 pm


So, for this week, I created a second version of my zomspot page– this time a user can email an image (from a phone or what-have-you) and it will appear online in my infographic.
(more…)

September 20, 2010

zomspot! (web-based sms fun)

Filed under: Mobile Me(dia) — Tags: , , , , — *aly* @ 8:33 pm


For this assignment, we worked with php and a mySQL database and created projects that use textmarks.com to interact with text messages. I decided to have some zombie fun. Mostly, I want to use the word “zompocalypse” as much as possible. Well, that and I registered the domain name zombotomy.com and need to fill it with splendid (zomtastic) content.

(more…)

April 2, 2010

FM Radio Stations’ Service in the Contiguous United States

This assignment started with a map/processing sketch created by Nick and his fellow NYT R&D lab chum, Mike. It starts with an image of a map and then plots latitude and longitude points over top. Our assignment was to do something with this and a different data set.

So, the title of my version says it all… Except, of course, it doesn’t touch on the saga of how I got to this final version. I started out with a giant dataset from the FCC that includes the latitude and longitude for all the FM radio towers in the US and then includes 360 pairs of coordinates for the service contours for each station. (Basically, the coordinates draw a circle around each broadcast point.) This file was about 300mb+ in size. So, I decided the best thing to do would be to write a processing sketch to parse the data and just pull out the info I needed. I limited the contour to just the station lat/long and the lat/long of the N contour. (since the map of the US I am using is so small, it really made no sense to go for the contour–where a circle would work as well.) So, I did that and got a nice tidy smaller data set and created a map. And while I was working on the sketch, I just used the first 1000 lines of data– which made a really lovely map. Then, of course, when I tried to use the full dataset, it was a mess. 30,000 lines of data does not look pretty all at once.
(more…)

March 22, 2010

aly’s eyes (in the style of the feltron report)

For this assignment, I made an info graphic about data I collected during the previous weeks– all about my eyes. The inspiration for this infographic is the amazing work of Nicholas Felton (who was a super guest lecturer, by the bye. Completely, utterly obsessive in a fabulous way which is evident in his feltron report series. When I asked him what he has planned for the 10th year of this, he has a book in mind. What an awesome body of design work! I really admire his aesthetic.)

Here’s the PDF of 7 Days through Aly’s Eyes.

February 26, 2010

6 days with Peiyu

For the first half of this assignment, we were tasked with keeping track of every place that we go for a week. To make this a little easier, Nick suggested we use the mobile phone app called foursquare. So, I set up an account and checked in for a week. Of course, I managed to forget to check myself in home when I got home (so I think the data looks like I stayed out very very late all week long).

So, onto the second part of the assignment. In class, we emailed links of the rss data to the person sitting on our right and have to create a map-based info graphic about his/her week. So, I got data from Peiyu Liu and decided to mimic his design style in the graphic that I created. He has a really lovely and distinct design sense, so it was pretty easy to make something that looks like his work. (Of course, I checked out his blog to get ideas from his first info graphic… and from the blog itself)

And so, here’s a link to the pdf of my info graphic mapping of his week.

February 7, 2010

commuting info graphic

Filed under: Telling Stories with Data/Sensors/Humans — Tags: , , — *aly* @ 6:16 pm

The second part of this assignment was to use the data from the photos taken last week to create an info graphic. The idea was to start out in black and white in Illustrator to make sure that the data is represented clearly and then maybe fancify from there. To that end, I have a preliminary version (all black and white) and a more colorful version that uses a subway map as a background.

The PDF shows the final version as well as the preliminary version.

November 24, 2009

Infographics: hungry hungry kitties

Filed under: Visual Communications — Tags: , , , — *aly* @ 7:01 pm

gimmiedinnerThis week’s assignment to create an infographic was inspired by my kitties’ appetites. I decided to illustrate the following statistic: how many dollars I’ve spent on cat food since I got my stripy boys in 2001. The grand total (extrapolated from actual data on my expenses from the last few years) is $4,824. They are hungry indeed.
(more…)